Re: [OM] Disillusionment

Subject: Re: [OM] Disillusionment
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:46:55 -0700

John Wheeler wrote:

Well, I dunno. The OM-2 (first Oly after the Epic that I owned) came back
from camera hospital yesterday with a newer top on it and the original in a
plastic bag.

Looking at the underside of a naked OM part was traumatic to say the least.
All those flimsy bits of foil stampings some of them epoxied to the shell.

OK, I'll expose my proud and vast ignorance of things L*eica. Is the M3 a mechanical camera with perhaps match needle meter, rather than an electronic shutter camera? If so, you should be looking at the underside of an OM-1 top-plate, which you would find to be devoid of such things.

Is this the superbly engineered mechanism that you blokes had led me to believe
had no peer?

Yup, but built on the principle that function, price and weight are more important than internal apparent beauty. It seems to work, as all the old great german 35mm SLRs are either defunct, 30 year old designs being made in the ex SSRs or simply names that grace Japanese made cameras. Assuming that L*eica still makes an SLR (?), remember that they didn't until after all the others went away. The OM-2(n) is still a highly functional MF camera that has stood the test of time. Open the bottom instead, and you may feel a little better, lots of nice gears and levers and things.

Moose :-)