RE: [OM] Well, I'm screwed...

Subject: RE: [OM] Well, I'm screwed...
From: "daniel" <danrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:11:28 -1000
I got a 1-13 for 20.
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Moose
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 6:03 PM
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What in heaven's name are you going to do with a 1-7 screen? It's a
terrible choice, unusable really, for a 28mm lens, poor for a 50mm lens
and probably reasonable useable with the 90mm.. The central microprism
is designed for super-teles and will tend to black out on a 50mm and
certainly do so on a 28mm. The area outside the microprisms is not
"ground glass", but a clear, aerial image which doesn't focus. Also, it
will give incorrect meter readings with an OM-1 unless the meter is
adjusted. With your lenses, the 1-1, 1-3, 1-4(n), 1-13 and 1-14 are the
most appropriate screens. The 1-5 and 1-6 might work for your lenses,
but will throw the meter off.

The 1-7 is a great screen for its specialized use, but not anywhere near
a general use screen.

Why not just get another 1-13 and treat it well? They are the standard
screen for the simple reason that they (along with the Much rarer 1-14)
are the most versitile for the widest range of lenses and conditions. I,
and I'm sure many others on the list would be happy to send you one or
more at reasonable prices. they are really common.

Moose