Re: [OM] Re: everybody loves a shift lens...

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: everybody loves a shift lens...
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:02:18 -0300
On 6/11/03 5:04 PM, "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The perception of perspective is based upon viewing a photo of a
> particular size at a particular distance. A very wide rectilinear shift
> lens with perfect film could create any image that any other rectilinear
> lens could (ignoring bokeh, contrast, finite resolution etc ... ). It's
> the minor things in the parenthesis and the photographer's own "image"
> that make it imperative to own at least one of every Zuiko variety
> (perhaps a few SP's, ATX's, Series 1's, and ... )

Yes and no. If we do ignore every other aspect of the shot, this is
completely true. You mention ignoring bokeh (which is going to be related to
the design of the lens) but one thing you cannot ignore is depth of field.
In the cropped section from the wide lens' shot, you would have greater
depth of field (assuming everything isn't along the same plane) than the
same shot taken in the same spot at the same aperture with a longer lens.
Yes, you could stop the longer lens down to compensate for this. However,
you could be introducing issues with diffraction. You most certainly will
have to change the shutter speed to compensate for the change in aperture
which will change the way motion is recorded. The other option would be to
simply under-expose the shot, but that's creating further issues.

I do understand you're speaking completely theoretically and are ignoring
all other factors. Of course that's never the case, every choice is going to
have other consequences in the shot. But it's these choices and consequences
that make photography so interesting. It's not just a matter of picking the
right position or the right focal length. There's no magical combination of
shutter speed and aperture that will always give the perfect shot. All of
these issues (and many, many, many more) combine and (in many cases)
inter-relate. It's the way that each photographer makes these choices that
determines their style.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx