Re: [OM] Camera -- to abuse or not ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera -- to abuse or not ?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 00:19:35 +0200
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:30:48 -0600
"Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Actually, it is always the photographers fault, if anything :)
> > The secret to good underwater photographs is to reduce the column
> > of water between the camera and the object one wishes to take
> > photos of.
>
>  Tell that to the fish.. I spent enough time chasing them, believe
>  me.

Well, I've found that going the right places, and taking sufficient
time  to approach them (and being sufficiently good at controlling
buyancy) it is possible to get close enough. The "right places" often
being either places where the fishes are accustomed to divers
(Hanauma, some areas around the red Red Sea etc.) or where they have
never seen humans before and are curious (btw. a school of curious
fish is sorta odd to find yourself in the middle of)

Despite being a good swimmer, I have only found very few fishes I
could actually outswim if they tried to swim away. And as for those
where I managed to catch up with the fish, I think it was only
because they did not make a real effort :)

Otherwise, take up photographing invertebrates or corals. Neither of
those move closely (and there is something almost surreal about
mounting a camera on a tripod under water....)

> > Actually, I did some snorkeling in Hanauma Bay on Oahu, Hawaii
> > last fall. The water is sufficiently shallow to not make tanks
> > and real diving worthwhile - a snorkel and good lungs is enough
> > even to observe sea-turtles in close (and I think even tanks
> > would just be cumbersome there).
>
>  Yeah, that's where those photos were (another good spot is mile
>  marker 15
> on Maui) -- I can see that full scuba kit might be nice, but
> there's enough_really_ shallow (1 foot or less) bits of reef that
> unless you were very careful to find the correct route you'd want
> to be as low-profile as possible.

I never went to Maui, but on Hawaii I never felt that I was missing
out on anything by being without the tanks. I am sure that if I went
there with the express intent of diving, and made advanced planning,
there are plenty of beautiful spots when getting a bit off shore
[actually, it was surprising how shallow the water is in waikiki bay.
I think I went about 1 mile off-shore, and it was still not deep].
Anyways, I was there for work (at least officially)...work does not
involve diving (nor photography), sadly.

Anyways, back to the surface - and photography. I have given thought
to acquireing a Nikonos V and some Sea & Sea lights, however whenever
I am "down" I still find so many fun things to do that I am not sure
I would have time to photograph anything :)

--thomas

>  -- dan

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)