Re: [OM] buying a cheap tripod?

Subject: Re: [OM] buying a cheap tripod?
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 18:00:32 +0800
I was looking at buying a Velbon 343E today!! Ouch.. I was looking at the *Bogen 719B* also.. But I can't find them here in Taiwan..

The Velbon was "suppose" to be the answer to the question of light travel tripods..

Arrg..

Albert

Is that a joke? If so, can I be in on it from now on? ;-)

I bought one of those because it was so small, light and inexpensive and just being packed in my backpack broke one of the legs off within a month. I'm not that rough with my bag, either, but I take it with me a lot so it gets moved around all the time. Still, I wasn't expecting a tripod to disintegrate like that. I may have used it a dozen times. When I had a zoom lens on my camera it was about as stable as Amanda Plummer on crank. I'm using my Bogen / Manfrotto 3283B with a 501 Video Head again now. It weighs about as much as a Chocolate Labrador, but I'm not going to buy another tiny tripod unless it's built like a tank. ;-)