Re: [OM] scanning questions

Subject: Re: [OM] scanning questions
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 07:19:46 +0100
My problem is that I am not always sure what to do to get back to a decent image if the scan is not halfway decent to begin with. I use Vuescan exclusively now (forced to by Canon's refusal to make a plugin for OSX for their FS4000) and I am quite close to a decent image by the time it comes out of the USB cable. As Doro says, Ed Hamrick really does try to make Vuescan effective. Until he comes up with the values for Fuji film, I tend to use roughly equivalent Kodak film settings, or the generic ones. I scanned the Ireland ones using Vuescan's Generic slide values.

Then I use Photoshop Elements' Enhance menu or EditLab from Pictographics (as suggested by someone a few weeks ago). A few tweaks may still be necessary, but if the scanning material was well exposed, it is quite easy. As can be seen with my Ireland shots, I had to accept dark foregrounds or washed-out highlights in the sky because of my cruelty to pushed slide film :>)

Chris