Re: [OM] auto extrension tube and the 135mm f4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] auto extrension tube and the 135mm f4.5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 23:22:07 -0700
First of all, the 135/4.5 doesn't have a conventional mount, it's what you might call a short mount. The lens itself extends quite a ways behind the back of the mount. It cannot mount dierctly on a camera. It is designed to work with the 65-116 Auto Tube, which is an auto extension tube that adjusts from 65mm to 116mm of extension, or with a bellows. Although it has a focusing helicoid, it has a rather short range of adjustment intended for fine focusing after tube or bellows is set at about the right extension. It will focus to infinity at the 65mm adjustment of the 65-116, so work it out for yourself, moving the lens any closer to the camera focuses past infinity and isn't any use.

For amusement, because they are all right here, I determined that the lens will fit into the 25mm auto tube, but not anything shorter or the Vivitar auto tubes. I guess you could use mixed sets of tubes to get various lengths 65mm and longer. Olys are 7, 14 and 25mm and aftermarket tubes are 12, 20 and 36mm. A 25mm would always have to be the one directly on the lens. In addition to being unwieldy to the point of being virtually unusable, this approach would possibly leave distances at which focus could not be achieved.

And no, the 135/4.5 on 65mm tube probably won't fit in any of the long nose cases, as it is larger than any of the lenses for which they are designed.

Moose

Richard Hawkins wrote:

What is the shortest auto extension tube that will allow the 135mm f4.5 to
mount on a camera body?  I wouldn't think the body type would make a
difference................or would it?  Would they fit in a long nose
eveready case? Summer showers will soon be here and I want to be ready to
protect my gear, I should be receiving the lens this week and need to know
if the case will help.