Re: [OM] Lense evaluation

Subject: Re: [OM] Lense evaluation
From: "Boris Grigorov" <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 07:24:05 -0400 (EDT)
Cc:
Jamie,
Everything started with the Fang that Moose was so proud with.  I then went to
the Photodo and checked the rating of the 24mm he found and was very high.
The name Sigma was always on the back of my head.  I remember wanting really
bad their SA-5 in the mid 90's when I took my first picture (before that I took
only occasional snapshots. Instead, I ended up with a beautiful OM1. So, that
warm feeling was on the back of my head and soon after Moose's post I just for
fun typed Sigma in the search box kindly provided by that side.  It came up
with this lens and it cought my interest, because, my next on the list was a
24mm Zuiko (I just had bought the 28mm).  So, I decided to think about it.
Being a rational consumer, I researched Sigma lenses and yes, you are right,
there were a lot of complaints about them, but for the older ones.  Apparently,
they were of such a poor quality, that between members of photographic
communities, were called SIG nifficant MAlfunction.  I was assured that they
are not "that" company anymore (read late 90's-present).  I also accounted that
because of all the time I have, my gear does not run more than
  about 10 rolls of film a year.  I take picture if I see one and it takes me a
long time to take it.
Titoy,
I ended up buying the lens for $60 something, but was possible to get it for
$29.99 or less, I do not exactly remember.  I did not put a snipe on it, and
bid a little early, like 45 seconds before the action ended.  Apparently, one
of the other bidders was watching, because he was able to enter a bid and bring
the price up.  I did not pay shipping, because it was my local shop and I
picked it up.  There is something funny going on there, because the lens was
described as in excellent condition, but was brand new.  It looks like it was
manufactured for another market, but somehow it found its way to US.
I bought the 75-300 APO for $86 with the shipping and can tell you right now
that it would not be a disappointment, because it is featured on the cult
lenses list and also the seller has 1000ositive feedback.  Actually, I think
this is the best seller on da bay, despite the fact that he recently sold his
OM gear.  Anyone recognize the  kuotest@xxxxxxxxx?
If interested, you can find my activities by searching for the alienspecimen
and also see pictures of the lenses.
Cheers,
Boris