Re: [OM] Leaf shutters

Subject: Re: [OM] Leaf shutters
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:19:01 -0700
Bill Pearce wrote:

"Has anyone ever seen a leaf shutter rated faster than 1/500th?"

Jaime,

The new AF Hasselblad has  top speed of somewhere around 1/800, without
checking their webwsite. It apparently achieves it. I think the only
currently available lens is the normal, so we will see what the others do,
but I expect all lenses will use the same shutter.

This could be marketing hype like the 1/750 @ f22 that was just discussed, with max speed at wider apertures lower.
I share your skepticism, but perhaps the electronic controls allow a higher speed.
The speed/aperture issue with leaf shutters is mechanical, but electronic autoexposure systems can include the speed/aperture relationship in its calculations to improve exposure accuracy. In an electronically controlled shutter, it would be theoretically possible to have the blades only open part way before closing when at a small aperture, but I'll bet no one is doing that.

Then again, I can't believe my OM 4's can get to 1/2000. I'll bet the 1/1000 on
most horizontal shutters is questionable, as the 1/6000 and 1/8000 on vertical
ones.

Speed issues in focal plane shutters are almost completely different than with leaf shutters. Focal plane top speeds are generally accurate when new or adjusted. They also don't change with aperture.

Moose