[OM] leaf shutters

Subject: [OM] leaf shutters
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 13:47:45 -0500
>I don't see why electronic shutter can be faster,
Neither do I, except for the fact that there are less mechanical things to
go out of whack. Basically, just speculating.

>The OM3 and OM4 both can achieve 1/2000s, the FA in 1985 can
>also achieve 1/4000s, I have tested them personally.
I have no doubt that those shutters can make the top speed on the bench,
just after adjustment. What I do doubt it that they cam maintain that speed
a year later. I remember when one of the photo magazines did speed
measurements as a part of their camera tests, and had trouble finding a
horizontal FP shutter that could make more that about 1/800 top speed.

I find it incredible that you can fling mechanical bits around, accelerating
and braking in a matter of milliseconds, without self destruction. But then,
I find it incredible that a F1 racing engine can do 12,000 rpm.

 >One trick on the FA was the flash sync was only 1/200s not 1/250 as
quoted.
Well, isn't that an ugly little secret.

Bill Pearce