Re: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK

Subject: Re: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 18:24:35 +0200
On Tue, 13 May 2003 10:31:31 +0100
Giles <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do you mean to say you have actually had success at getting your
> film hand checked at an airport in the UK ?  8-)
>
> They were just the same at Heathrow in the early nineties.  I had
> film in canisters in my pocket, I asked for them to be hand
> inspected, I even removed them from the canisters.  They just put
> them straight through the X-ray machine.

Next time, we should gang up on the security guy and force-feed him
through the x-ray...on second thought, no, that may not be the way to
go.

Why is it that the BAA is so amazingly paranoid and unflexible? In
all other countries where I have been, getting a hand-check required
a polite request, films in a transparant plastic bag, a reasonable
amount of time and that I tried to time my appearance such that the
queues were reasonable. All of which is manageable. Having a
reasonable amount of film helps too (i.e. not carrying 500 rolls..)

Sure, occationally I run into a "rotten apple" among the security
staff in other airports, but the BAA staff seems to have a policy of
not doing any hand-checks. Apparently, they have a policy of being
rude to their customers too.

Btw., I should make an experiment of figuring out how many rolls of
film I can carry in my pocket without setting off the metal detector.
1-2 usually works fine, I've never tried more.

--thomas

> Giles
>
> >The best success I have had while traveling is to state that the
> >film I am carrying is "Professional film".  When they see the
> >Provia name they always comply.  Often even without seeing the
> >name if I say it is professional film (having the film in the
> >Black OM 4T helps too!
> >
> >gregg

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)