Re: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK

Subject: Re: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:43:37 -0500
Quoting Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Tue, 13 May 2003 09:28:30 -0600
> Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > At 10:31 AM 5/13/2003 +0100, Giles wrote:
> >
> > >Do you mean to say you have actually had success at
> getting your
> > >film hand checked at an airport in the UK ?  8-)

I posted a couple of years ago (pre- 9/11) about my
brother's requesting very politely and getting a hand
check of his film at Heathrow.  This was met with near
disbelief by British list members.  The only two things I
can conclude is that 1) these service personnel have more
discretion than is generally realized, and  2) the
particular service person in my brother's case likes
Americans and/or perhaps just liked my brother's charming
midwestern accent. (It wouldn't have been his clothes or
good looks ... ) <g>

Joel W.