Re: [OM] The "Car Camera" -- anyone have one?

Subject: Re: [OM] The "Car Camera" -- anyone have one?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 23:53:54 -0400
In a message dated 5/11/2003 6:08:54 PM Central Standard Time, gmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Anyone on the list actually keep a "car camera?"

Greg,
I do, but only on longer trips and not when driving to/from work or around town. Kit for the longer trips (usually on the back seat):
  OM-4 loaded with Kodachrome 64
  35-105/3.5~4.5 (mounted on OM-4)
  50/1.2 with hood for very low light
  24/2 with hood; next lens wider than the 35-105
  135/2.8; next lens longer than the 35-105 but can be easily hand held

Rest of the OM system, along with tripod and medium format system is in the trunk. For "grab shots" during the trip, getting something else out of the trunk is very rare. Most of the time I don't even have to switch the zoom for one of the others. The 35-105/3.5~4.5 is quite versatile, especially with its close-focus feature (a short, variable extension tube; approx. 0-5mm). If I stop for any length of time it all goes into the trunk for security. For short stops I simply cover it with a coat or towel. Likely not exactly the answer you were looking for.

I do not keep a camera in the car all the time. Continuously changing temperatures is hard on cameras, especially summer heat and humidity which is also very hard on film. I don't recommend keeping one inside the passenger compartment during the time of year when temperatures push toward 80F or above (hard to avoid with a truck or SUV). Temperatures inside a passenger compartment can exceed 150F . . . during mid-summer up to 180F . . . when parked in the sun. Even under a seat or in the shade doesn't mitigate the greenhouse effect of the windows. The trunk remains much cooler.

*If* I were to keep one permanently in the trunk, and thinking you're looking for just one body/lens, it would be my Rollei 35S with its 40/2.8 Sonnar. It's very small and its solid mechanical design makes it very hardy in extremes of heat and cold. The lens is ideal for making do with a single, fixed focal length and it's fast enough during daylight when loaded up with ISO 100 film (I use Provia 100F in it; lens is too slow for Kodachrome 64 at dusk/dawn). At one time I had two Rollei 35's. The other was a 35T that went everywhere with me while in the military through all seasons in every manner of very hot and very cold climates and weather conditions. Never had any trouble with it; sold it as I eventually only needed one of them and the 35T had become a dust holder on a shelf. The 35S would likely survive well in the car trunk, but still not certain the film in it would fare well very long during the summer. Quite likely this choice is for similar reasons others have for keeping a compact RF in the car versus a larger SLR.

-- John