Re: [OM] The "Car Camera" -- anyone have one?

Subject: Re: [OM] The "Car Camera" -- anyone have one?
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 23:10:12 EDT
In a message dated 5/11/2003 6:08:54 PM Central Standard Time,
gmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Anyone on the list actually keep a "car camera?"

There are probably many who would say I am crazy, however I usually have a
kit with me in my SUV in Houston.  Keep it in a Tamrac bag, between the rear
bucket seats, covered with a towel.  If it is going to be real hot, I'll
leave the windows open a bit or carry it inside with me.  Camera will usually
be an OM 2S (usually two) and whatever lenses I plan to be using in the next
few days.  Usually a 35-105 Zuiko and maybe a wider lens. Often the Tamron
90mm f2.5 and also the Tamron 180mm f2.5 and a 2X teleconverter.  Friday it
included the Tamron 400mm as I was planning on going to the park in the
afternoon to do some birding and alligatoring.  Did both. There is almost
always a tripod behind the seat.  So there you go . . . I carry a kit with
me, try to keep it from baking and have it insured for what it would cost to
replace it in the event it gets stolen.  Do I use it?  You betcha.  Although
the past week has been a bit unusual for me I've made somewhere around 400 to
450 exposures of flowers, snakes, birds, all sorts of zoo animals,
alligators, alligators and more alligators, buildings and abandoned
buildings, night shots of traffic, wrecking yards, trash on the side of the
road and more. These were done in both B&W and color slides. I've done
everything from macro and wide angle to extreme telephoto. I've used $1,000
telephoto lenses and a $20 Sima soft focus lens.  Two observations, I would
make. If I didn't plan to shoot I wouldn't have made most of these exposures
and if I didn't have a camera with me I wouldn't have made any of them.  One
of my shoots was for the TOPE and 2 others were for competitions at a local
club.  Next Saturday I am going to a rookery for the day to photograph young
birds and plan to shoot at least 5 or 6 rolls of film.  I find that my
activity increases as my intentionality increases.  So I vote to carry a kit
and one that gives you some options.  Bill Barber