Re: [OM] The "Car Camera" -- anyone have one?

Subject: Re: [OM] The "Car Camera" -- anyone have one?
From: Charles Sdunek <charles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 23:25:25 -0400
Bill,

Well, You've convinced me! gonna toss the Yashica into wifes car and take a small kit with me now.

(Thanks for the inspiration)

Charles

At 11:10 PM 5/11/03, you wrote:

There are probably many who would say I am crazy, however I usually have a kit with me in my SUV in Houston. Keep it in a Tamrac bag, between the rear bucket seats, covered with a towel. If it is going to be real hot, I'll leave the windows open a bit or carry it inside with me. Camera will usually be an OM 2S (usually two) and whatever lenses I plan to be using in the next few days. Usually a 35-105 Zuiko and maybe a wider lens. Often the Tamron 90mm f2.5 and also the Tamron 180mm f2.5 and a 2X teleconverter. Friday it included the Tamron 400mm as I was planning on going to the park in the afternoon to do some birding and alligatoring. Did both. There is almost always a tripod behind the seat. So there you go . . . I carry a kit with me, try to keep it from baking and have it insured for what it would cost to replace it in the event it gets stolen. Do I use it? You betcha. Although the past week has been a bit unusual for me I've made somewhere around 400 to 450 exposures of flowers, snakes, birds, all sorts of zoo animals, alligators, alligators and more alligators, buildings and abandoned buildings, night shots of traffic, wrecking yards, trash on the side of the road and more. These were done in both B&W and color slides. I've done everything from macro and wide angle to extreme telephoto. I've used $1,000 telephoto lenses and a $20 Sima soft focus lens. Two observations, I would make. If I didn't plan to shoot I wouldn't have made most of these exposures and if I didn't have a camera with me I wouldn't have made any of them. One of my shoots was for the TOPE and 2 others were for competitions at a local club. Next Saturday I am going to a rookery for the day to photograph young birds and plan to shoot at least 5 or 6 rolls of film. I find that my activity increases as my intentionality increases. So I vote to carry a kit and one that gives you some options. Bill Barber