Re: [OM] Aaaargh - I did it... Mine Too !!!

Subject: Re: [OM] Aaaargh - I did it... Mine Too !!!
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:42:01 -0700

> Last night, I wound a new roll of Plus-X onto my OM-2s.   I had the same
> problem as Jez: When just enough film was wound onto the take-up spool to
> cover the lower of the two sprockets, the wind lever would not advance the
> film as the only sprocket turning was the upper sprocket (which was not
> engaging the film).   I could theoretically shoot a whole roll on one
frame
> and yet the rewind lever would still feel taut!

 I've taken to shooting once with the back open and watching to make sure
it's loading, then another three with the back closed to clear out any bits
of film that'll have been exposed while loading.

 This way, sure, I waste some film, but I've had films not load properly,
and I've lost the first shot on a roll because it was half exposed when I
loaded it -- and, after all, your typical 24-shot film gives you about 27
shots anyway so it's only the 'free' ones you're losing..

 -- dan

A-L-W-A-Y-S advance your film one full frame before closing the camera back, then keep an eye on the rewind lever to ensure it advances properly as you complete the loading process onto the take-up reel. This doesn't "waste" film, it saves it.

I've made this same mistake, for the countless time, within the past year working in the street fast . . . trying to "save" time. Old fools die hard. <g>

Tris