Re: [OM] Avoiding X-Ray Machines & Need U.K. Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Avoiding X-Ray Machines & Need U.K. Advice
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:19:54 +0100
Hi Bill - well I'm a pretty frequent traveller within Europe these days, thanks to the fabulously cheap Ryanair, and although airport security at the moment is as strict as I've ever known it, I've always left my film (usually Fuji Sensia 100) in the hand luggage, where it is scanned, and I've never had any problems. I also once had a roll of Fuji Super HG 1600 that ended up being an experiment into the effects of repeated airport scanning, getting zapped approximately 10 times, in Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia, but it didn't suffer from the experience and the shots came back fine. So on the basis of my own experience I am not too worried about X-rays causing problems.

That said, if you want to buy film here, I've bought from mx2.co.uk a few times and recommend them. They're based off-shore but I'm certain the post from the Channel Islands doesn't get X-rayed on its way over. There's plenty of places in Central London that can cater to pretty much all your film needs, but at a slightly higher cost.

Processing-wise, I almost always use Fuji mail-order developing but that takes 4-5 days so too long for you. Snappy Snaps has plenty of branches around London and can do E6 developing in an hour or two but that would be reasonably expensive I think.

Cheers,
Roger

NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

I will be spending a couple of weeks in Ireland and England in August and would like to avoid carrying my film through the dreaded x-ray machines. I need three pieces of information. Is there a film supplier in the UK that I can have mail film to me in Ireland and in England in a manner that will not get x-rayed in the mail? Does anyone know of a good pro-lab in Dublin and in London (central part of city) that can do E-6 processing in a timely manner? Dublin is my last stop in Ireland and London the last stop in England before going to the airport and I'll have 2 or 3 days in each place. There are a number of labs in Houston that which process and mount my E-6 in a matter of a few hours so I am assuming I am not just spoiled by that level of service. I appreciate any referrals and input about any flaws in my plan. Bill Barber