Re: [OM] om-1 versus om-3

Subject: Re: [OM] om-1 versus om-3
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 18:10:54 -0800
Gary's tests of several lenses both with MLU on an OM-1 and with mirror/aperture prefire on OM-2s, 4 and 2000 bodies make it clear that the aperture mechanism contributes significantly to unsharpness with many lenses.

The question I don't know the answer to is the effect of MLU vs. none. Considering both how much more massive the moving parts are, how much farther they move and that manufacturers came up with MLU first, I would suspect that the effect of MLU is larger than that from the aperture mechanism, but I don't have any real evidence.

Pushing the preview button might even make things worse. The stop down mechanism in the camera still operates and insted of having anything to press against to slow/cushion it, just flies full speed until it hits an abrupt stop. Who knows.

Moose