Re: [OM] om-1 versus om-3

Subject: Re: [OM] om-1 versus om-3
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 07:27:15 -0600
At 05:23 PM 4/4/2003 -0800, you wrote:
Joel Wilcox wrote:

I don't think the self-timers on OM-4 and OM-1 are really very comparable, since the OM-1's doesn't stop down the aperture in advance of the shutter's firing. It's really not much better than a cable release other than your being able more easily to take a picture of yourself with an OM-1.

Agreed. However, the OM-1 does have mirror lock-up, which isn't as good as the 4, but better than nothing. BTW, the 40/PC has the exact same function as the 4 series, the 2000 has full MLU/APF capability and the 10 and 20/G come close with APF and the mirror goes most of the way up when the self timer starts and only moves a bit at the end. Don't know about the 2s and 30/F, 'cause I've never had one.

The OM-3 must be at least as good as that even without a self-timer.

Again, the OM-1 does have mirror lock-up and the 3 doesn't even have that.

Moose

The MLU is of course great to have if you need it for astrophotography, and so forth. I have no evidence however that used by itself it produces sharper images, which I presume you agree with, since you also say it is not as good as the OM-4's version of MLU. I just mention this because I used to think locking up the mirror and using a cable release was the ne plus ultra. No cigar. Better to cradle the camera and lens and use your finger IMHO, especially with anything longer than an 85 or 90mm lens (or maybe even a 50).

BTW the 2S pops the mirror all the way up in self-timer mode. That body is very similar to an OM-4 in most respects outside the viewfinder.

Joel W.