Re: [OM] hand held telephoto flash

Subject: Re: [OM] hand held telephoto flash
From: Matt BenDaniel <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 21:30:12 -0500
At 15:11 02-04-03 -0800, Moose wrote:
>Are you shooting at night? In daylight with fast film, a significant portion
>of the exposure may be from ambient light which, at 1/60 sec., will surely be
>blurry handheld.

As I understand it, if the meter reads approximately an exposure from 1/60 sec
to 1/8 sec, you are potentially in trouble with a flash. During the 1/60
exposure a significant registration on film will occur due to ambient light.
The 1/1000 flash will imprint a second image. If there is any movement during
the 1/60, there will be blurring or a double exposure. If the meter reads 1/4
sec or slower, then the ambient light is so dim that it will not make much of a
difference.

When the meter reads close to 1/60, one solution is to use a neutral density
filter to eliminate the ambient light, but that has at least a couple problems.
1) You may need a really bright flash and 2) the background will probably be
very dark and usually not as aesthetic.

>Some of those folks use super fast high power flashes for bird pics so they
>can get some DOF.

Are you suggesting that I stop down the mirror lens when using a bright flash?
I could partially cover the front with the cap.
Doesn't seem very repeatable.

>Get some more flash power. My first step would be a T32 with the Zoom Adapter.

I'll keep my eye out for one of those adapters.

Thanks for the info.
--
Matt BenDaniel
matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx