[OM] Small Flash Purchase

Subject: [OM] Small Flash Purchase
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:07:15 -0500
Thanks to all who provided comments about the Sunpak 120J TTL "bare bulb" flash. I just placed an order for one, complete with battery pack and the EXT-10 cord so I can mount it on a flash bracket. Already had a Sunpak OM "T" series TTL module stockpiled to use for this.

I've been using a Metz 40 MZ-3i with an SCA-307A on the flash bracket and an SCA-321 on the end of the cord. It has worked fairly well with and without a bounce card, and will be used as backup. At the same time I found a used Metz 40 MZ-2 and ordered it . . . along with another SCA-321 module and an SCA-300E to replace the SCA-307A on the flash bracket. The SCA-300E has a socket for the SCA-300A cords I already have for the G-15 and G-16 grips (Metz versions of a BG-2). Provides more flexibility without having to move the SCA-321 modules from one cord to another; I can use the same cord with the flash bracket or the grips.

Awaiting now the arrival of this flash gear . . . especially the 120J TTL . . . so I can run a few test rolls with it.

Before that I was using a pair of T-32's in T-20 Auto Connectors mounted on the flash bracket.

Also in the flash arsenal are a Sunpak 555 (with EXT-11 cord and OM TTL module) and a Sunpak 544 that I've used with the OM-1n and a Contax IIIa. Usual first choice is working with a flash bracket that keeps the flash above the lens. That said, there have been a few occasions when I've wanted the offset to the side a potato masher offers in addition to keeping it well above the lens.

Thanks to those who commented about the 120J TTL . . .

-- John