RE: [OM] Stock up on film, the shortage will come

Subject: RE: [OM] Stock up on film, the shortage will come
From: "Dave" <davdou@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:08:41 -0800
Isn't this analogous to Bill Gates' wealth that has come from providing
the software rather than the hardware?

I was in a Long's Drug today to drop off a roll of film for processing.
I haven't been in a Long's for photo finishing for several months as I
have been shooting almost exclusively digital with my E-20 and C-4040.

They now have an electronic kiosk at which one can insert a media card
and either upload the data for them to print or use the touch screen to
do it yourself.  The prints I had made from film were done on a digital
printer and are very nice.

This will allow the P & S digital photographer to get prints made
without having to learn to use a computer and Photo Shop, etc.  There is
a vast market for that out there.

Those of us who enjoy more control will use either the traditional
darkroom or digital darkroom.  I don't think film is dead.  But I do
think that its use will be greatly diminished much sooner than many of
us on this forum have thought.

Dave Dougherty