Re: Re: [OM] 135mm/2.8+2xA

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] 135mm/2.8+2xA
From: lamadoo@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:21:26 -0500
My 2cents:

Since you already have a world-class 90, a 135 sounds like a good choice to me.
 I have had excellent results with my Zuiko 135/3.5.  Although it's modestly
priced, it isn't not junk.  If I had it to do over, I'd probably buy a
multi-coated 135/2.8.  Do you already know about single-coatings vs.
multi-coatings?

There's a lot of agreement that the 200/5 is a honey of a lens, and since I
can't recommend the 200/4 I had, they're probably right.

You might also consider a zoom of 3rd party manufacture from the 80s.  (While I
had very unsharp results from a 1973 Tamron 80-210 f/4.5, my 80s-era Kiron
80-200 f/4 is *much better.)

Gary's results were uh... less than enthusiastic about the 180/2.8 as I recall.
 For general travel results, the Kiron is perfect for my occasional use in the
200mm range.  If you're looking to do *serious* work in the 200mm range, the
Tamron 80-200 f/2.8 is highly regarded.  Tom Scales has one for sale now but be
advised that it's a big lens that won't be happy bobbing off your neck for
long.  It's more of a serious, tripod mounter from what I've read.

Lama