Re: [OM] Stock up on film, the shortage will come

Subject: Re: [OM] Stock up on film, the shortage will come
From: Charles Sdunek <charles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:11:43 -0500
At 11:40 PM 3/18/03, you wrote:
on 4/18/03 8:12 PM, Bob Fenstermacher at bobfenstermacher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> -
>> For those of you who think that film will give way to digital in the
>> forseeable future,
>
> I thought I'd add my 2 cents in to this worrysome possibility.
>
> One of the biggest factors in a successfull business is having a product
> that is used up by the comsumers and is constantly in need of replacing.
> For example, food, drugs, medicine, supplements, fuel and gasoline, glasses
> and contacts, soft drinks,  etc, etc, etc.
>
> The very idea of planned obsolesence was based on the need for products to
> be resold to consumers -can't make money on a product that lasts forever.
>
> Well, except for advances in technology like digital will encompass, people
> do not need to buy a new digital camera every year or every five years...no
> need to buy more digital space from a camera manufacturer, just buy another
> disk and download the images you like and stick em in a box to be inserted
> in your computer whenever.
>
> On the other hand, our major film manufacturers have a perfect product. It's
> used up almost immediately and voila, you buy more film.
>
> It seems to me, that those manufacturers should have a vested interest in
> keeping film camera manufacturers in business.
>
> Perhaps they need to make this connection and keep their profit centers
> (film) alive.
>
> Bob Fenstermacher

But Apple HP Sony etc have NO interest in keeping film alive...remember
Polaroid?

For something that is going to be obsolete soon, it is strange how much money and time the major film manufacturers are putting into the development of new film products, the improvement of old ones, and upgrades and improvements to the manufacturing machines and processes. Why waste so much time and money on something that has no future?

Because even if every consumer in the private sector switches over to digital, there will still be enough film used in industry and scientific research to support the film industry. AND, as long as film is available commercially, it will be available to us.(though we may have to buy it in bulk rolls and spool it ourselves...but then we can make a fortune selling those spools to those who are less ambitious.

Charles Sdunek