RE: [OM] Stock up on film, the shortage will come

Subject: RE: [OM] Stock up on film, the shortage will come
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:04:10 -0500
At 22:12 4/18/03, Bob Fenstermacher wrote:

[snip]

On the other hand, our major film manufacturers have a perfect product. It's
used up almost immediately and voila, you buy more film.

It seems to me, that those manufacturers should have a vested interest in
keeping film camera manufacturers in business.

Perhaps they need to make this connection and keep their profit centers
(film) alive.

A possibility.

Kodak is scrambling to offer printing of digital images (IIRC it's their Ofoto service) and they're not the only one doing this. Watch their behavior as time goes by. Agfa, Fuji, Kodak, et alia will be seeking products and services that require recurring purchase. I told someone at work just a couple days ago while discussing part of our own product line that making copier paper is potentially better than making copier machines.

-- John