Re: [OM] Stock up on film, the shortage will come

Subject: Re: [OM] Stock up on film, the shortage will come
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 00:04:00 -0400
On 3/18/03 8:16 PM, "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For those of you who think that film will give way to digital in the
> forseeable future, remember this. Sales of 35mm B&W film in England,
> according to a trade group, increased last year. Film sales overall, have
> not declined, although the sales of some 35mm cameras may be about to peak.
> The result is a huge base of cameras that will use film. this will not
> transition to digital overnight. As long as there are film cameras, there
> will be someone that will provide film. The variety may not continue to
> increase, and the R&D may decine, but film will remain. I sure could
> continue with Provia and Velvia, Plus-X and Tri-X, and the Fuji four layer
> 400 and 800 color neg films for the rest of my life.

Just to add to this, both Fuji and Kodak have announced new slide films
recently (Velvia 100f, Astia 100f, E100G, E100GX). Neither company would be
doing this if they thought that film was going to die in the near future and
that they wouldn't be able to get a return on their investment.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx