[OM] Some comment on digital resolution and Oly 4/3 system

Subject: [OM] Some comment on digital resolution and Oly 4/3 system
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:12:15 -0500
Yesterday I happened to visit a pro photographer who uses a 6 megapixel Canon for much of his work. I noticed a 30x40 (inch) family portrait propped against the wall and inquired what he had used to shoot it. I knew he had a Pentax 645 and a Mamiya RB67 and was astounded to discover that this gigantic image was made with the 6 megapixel Canon. It's surprising since 8x10 is about the best I can do from my 2700 dpi scans of 35mm film which is approximately 9 megapixels.

That inspired me to do some experimentation using my refurbished 2 megapixel Nikon digital. The actual resolution of that 30x40 print was less than 75 pixels per inch. I assumed that there should be visible pixellation but there was not. I clipped out a 600x750 pixel section of a 1200x1600 digital image. When sized as an 8x10 it has 75 pixels per inch and clearly shows a lot of pixellation. However, when upsampled to an 8x10 having 150 pixels per inch using Picture Window Pro's bicubic smooting algorithm the pixellation disappears and it's almost as though additional resolution is apppearing out of the void. I had never tried upsampling before and I was truly startled to see that it produced a very good 8x10 print from a fairly low resolution image.

The point of all of this is that, even if the Oly 4/3 system is only 6 megapixels (instead of the 9 I'm hoping for) that isn't necessarily bad.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA