Re: [OM] Saturation: All the same?

Subject: Re: [OM] Saturation: All the same?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:51:59 -0800

OTOH, I've never heard anything about C-41 processing punching up saturation. Perhaps choice of print material can. I do know that overexposing color negative will increase saturation. How much is required before other effects of overexposure kick in, and how much it pumps up saturation I don't know (the curve does have a toe and shoulder, and gradation from shadow to highlight goes non-linear). Never played with it to find out; I don't use color negative that much.

-- John

Saturation is pumped a bit (but not much) with negative stock for longer exposures. The real benefit seems to be that these films "see more deeply" into subjects, especially shadow areas for "hidden detail." Other things being equal and given the right circumstance, I will always opt for a slower shutter speed when I'm shooting (especially at night, and this assumes I actually want that added shadow detail).

I'd suppose this is equally true for slide films, though with a somewhat compressed dynamic range and less film latitude to work with perhaps not as easily demonstrated in the field. (Is that right, or is there an inverse dynamic effect at work there?)

Tris