[OM] Saturation: All the same?

Subject: [OM] Saturation: All the same?
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:17:35 -0800 (PST)
In my own pictures from 2001, I noticed that the Fuji
1600 film (Fujicolor 1600 I think) has hyped
saturation.  What I call "cartoon color", where
caucasians take on the cast of a sienna basketball.

I read with interest in Pop Photo last year that the
Fuji Superia 800 X-TRA has normal saturation.  I used
it last August: perfectly neutral saturation.  Love
it.

But I wanted to find a 1600 EI C-41 solution in case I
need the speed.  I decided to try the Press 1600
version today so I went to the last remaining big
camera store in Cincinnati.  I bought the Press 1600.
Before asking about the Press 1600 saturation, I
tested the guy's knowledge with this question:

"Does Fuji Superia 800 X-TRA have normal saturation?"

He said, "What makes the difference is the processing.
 If you get cheap processing, the color goes wrong."

<Long pause on my side of the counter.  I decided to
try again.>

"What I'm interested in is finding a film that doesn't
have the exaggerated color.  Does Fuji Superia 800
X-TRA have normal saturation or exaggerated
saturation?"

Amazingly, he said back, "What makes the difference is
the processing.  If you get cheap processing, the
color goes wrong.  The films are all pretty good now."

For clarity, I asked, "Are you saying if I have the
processing done at the wrong place, they may
overdevelop it, giving me hyped saturation?"

"Yeah," he said.

I walked away muttering.  Obviously I'm gonna pull out
my .pdf from the Pop Photo site and find out for
myself.

I wonder why he didn't answer the question I asked.

I mean, if a customer buys Press 1600 and asks an
"advanced ameteur question", why would a sales guy
give him the "absolute beginner answer"?  I think he
was trying to 'upsell' me on his own processing.

As Master Yoda said to no one in particular, "300
years have I lived.  My own counsel will I keep."

Lama