Re: [OM] Saturation: All the same?

Subject: Re: [OM] Saturation: All the same?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:25:34 -0500
At 19:17 3/14/03, Lama wrote:
In my own pictures from 2001, I noticed that the Fuji
1600 film (Fujicolor 1600 I think) has hyped
saturation.  What I call "cartoon color", where
caucasians take on the cast of a sienna basketball.

Don't know why this happened to you. Fuji sells its ISO 1600 color negative under two names, Superia 1600 and Press 1600. I've used Press 1600 and seen Superia 1600 used for wedding work when ceremony shots must be done without flash. I've never had this happen and the Superia 1600 prints I've seen never showed anything beyond average saturation.

OTOH, I've never heard anything about C-41 processing punching up saturation. Perhaps choice of print material can. I do know that overexposing color negative will increase saturation. How much is required before other effects of overexposure kick in, and how much it pumps up saturation I don't know (the curve does have a toe and shoulder, and gradation from shadow to highlight goes non-linear). Never played with it to find out; I don't use color negative that much.

-- John