Re: [OM] Saturation: All the same?

Subject: Re: [OM] Saturation: All the same?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:23:09 -0800

In my own pictures from 2001, I noticed that the Fuji
1600 film (Fujicolor 1600 I think) has hyped
saturation.  What I call "cartoon color", where
caucasians take on the cast of a sienna basketball.

This is _not_ the case with Fujipress 1600, and I've the images to prove it. From what I've seen of its use, Fujipress 800 looks to be, if anything, just a bit more saturated (though I couldn't prove that). In any event, to my eye at least the result from both speeds falls well within bounds of "photorealistic." As the X-TRA emulsions are said to be cut from the ends of same bulk reels of film stock I don't understand why there should be any appreciable difference between one stock and another.

The X-TRA I've used (including the 800) gives very good results. It is somewhat saturated but reasonable. Overall the balance in just about any mixed-light setting (I assume that's the only reason you'd buy it) is as good as you're going to get.

For the rest of it (ignorance in camera shops): the only one I've access to in Scotts Valley is run by a gentleman who 1) doesn't realize that Kodak has changed Tri-X (he told me "As far as I know it's just new packaging") and 2) keeps his Kodachrome 64 on the open shelf ("I've never bothered to store in the cooler" he told me matter-of-factly).

Anyway, you should have good results with that Fujipress 1600. I'm gonna try the 800 stuff when my current cache of 1600 runs out. I like what I've seen of it, though I hate to surrender that extra stop. Finer grain, though.

Tris