Re: [OM] Newbie Question: Medium Telephoto lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Newbie Question: Medium Telephoto lenses
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 00:46:55 -0500
I have the 85/2. Other than the several 50/1.2 and 50/1.4 lenses, I believe it's the only other one in my bag with a 49mm filter ring. I've been tempted by the 100/2 several times . . . but other priorities for gear have always pushed it down the list.

The 85/2 has proven to be a lot of bang for the buck. Although I'm not normally concerned too much with this, the 85/2 small size and weight make it very agile. With an aperture of f/2 it's fast for a lens its length. It's very close to a 50/1.2 or 50/1.4 in size and weight. I don't often shoot it wide open (too shallow DOF), but the speed allows accurate focusing with a very shallow DOF displayed in the viewfinder, and it allows a brighter viewfinder in low light. It also works very well with extension tubes for macros, and its small size and light weight make it more stable when mounted on 2 or 3 tubes stacked. My next longer lens is the 135/2.8, and it's the logical lens to plug the gap between 50mm and 135mm. Overall, I rate it a very versatile lens with excellent optical qualities, including a very nice bokeh.

Even if I eventually get a 100/2, I wouldn't part with it. Plan your system and think about what you would eventually like to have. Then go after the lenses.

-- John