Re: [OM] Lond Meet

Subject: Re: [OM] Lond Meet
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:17:00 -0800
Sam Wrote:

Finally got the rest of my pictures for the London Meet onto the web..... if you're interested have a look at http://www.samsim.free-online.co.uk/Londonmeet2.htm

As usual, I'd be interested in any comments/critisisms etc...

I believe that the best advice for anyone shooting in London is to simply not include the sky. Focus instead on the stunning architecture, the magnificent trees which arch everywhere, or even the town's sidewalks . . . focus anywhere you damned well please, but stay strictly away from the sky!

Sky? Indeterminably-low layer of nebulous gray is all I can get out of what passes for "sky" in London. It is quite obvious those two frames shown with a blue-like hue up above were either (ably) forged somehow in software or actually made in some other (sunny) locale (been to Italy or Spain, lately?), then mistakenly tossed into that other . . . Gray Lot.

London presents us with the perfect rebuttal to the never-walk-around-with-a-filter-on-the-lens crowd. London argues with immutable logic for immediate acquisition of the entire 81-series of color-compensating filters, and of the finest quality of those which might be found! London is hard, London is cold, London is blue with a capital Blah.

        (muttermutter)

London also happens to be one of my favorite cities in the world. In its own ancient fashion it is almost as pictorially beautiful and utterly charming at face as is Paris, and thankfully devoid of that latter city's attitude and pretense. I would rather attribute this more to the people who live and work in these respective cities, but I don't know. What I do know is that I have never spent an unpleasant moment in London, and this place enjoys permanent must-visit notation in my European itinerary whenever I am fortunate enough to avail.

Over the years I've made countless images from in and around this grand old town. The URL at the bottom will take you to one (actually two, including the establishing shot) of my favorites.

Please note the film emulsion I used in the included notes under the image. I don't normally buy Kodak Max, but I found myself short during my day-long excursion with this new-found friend of mine and so I was forced to pick up a couple of rolls at a handy kiosk where my choice turned out to be limited.

Be that as it may, if you follow the URL you shall need to scroll down the page a short ways to the referenced photographs--conveniently, and appropriately enough for this discussion, we find that the dominating color of the scene happens to be . . .

        . . . blue. <g>

http://home.mindspring.com/~tristanjohn/_wsn/page4.html

Tris