Re: [OM] 4/3 at PMA

Subject: Re: [OM] 4/3 at PMA
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 11:22:53 -0800
>From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>My E-20 and 3x screw-on teleconverter, resulting in a digital camera
>with 420/2.8 equivalent, are much cheaper together than the Zuiko
>350/2.8 has ever been, and smaller, and lighter.

But the quality and resolution is nowhere near the same!

>A 49->55mm step-up ring and 1.7x B-300 on front of this combo will
>give you a quality 700/3.5 equivalent.

I'm not sure about "quality." Perhaps I have a bad sample, but I'm a bit
underwhelmed with my 3x. When you look at actual pixels, there is huge
chromatic aberration that gets worse the further from center you get. High
contrast shapes in the corners look like they're wearing a rainbow halo!

It's a fun lens, but nowhere near the performance of even a cheap, third-party
OM-mount lens of similar length.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>