Re: [OM] RE: Bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Bokeh
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 00:53:47 -0800
Heh...I run into kids at school all the time who don't really know why they're there. Someone in my photography class the other night told me she was majoring in sociology with a minor in art and when I asked her what she intended to do with it she told me she wasn't sure, but she hoped she could find something to do that helped people live together more peacefully and at the time time kept a love for art and creativity alive in them at a cultural level. I felt dizzy for a second and started to turn it into a conversation, but decided to go back into the darkroom and get some work done instead. I hope she finds her niche, but my bet is that she'll end up as a substitute English teacher at a school where she has to wear Kevlar. It's a shame that career counseling is such a fringe area of children's education. They all graduate from high school thinking there are unlimited opportunities waiting for them and most of them can't begin to decide what field deserves their unique talents.

Then there are the returning students who think a few semesters back at the books will finally put them on top. I got a call tonight from someone who's taking a photo class with me. She's a mother of three with several jobs and she latched onto me after a couple of class meetings because I could tell her what the knobs did on her new SLR when she got confused. She's always leaving her camera laying around and yesterday while she was in the darkroom someone took off with it. She called me to see if I'd loan her my equipment. I politely declined and told her that April's department has teams that scour the local pawn shops looking for stolen merchandise. She'd never considered that and set about digging out her serial numbers. She's convinced that in a couple of semesters she's going to be doing magazine work. Her still life stuff really is pretty good, but I hate to see people set themselves up for disappointment. I try to be pleasantly surprised if everything I do doesn't turn into a catastrophe. ;-)

-Rob