Re: [OM] Opinions

Subject: Re: [OM] Opinions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 01:35:10 -0800
Of the 2 triptychs, I prefer the first. I generally prefer the 3rd image in it anyway for its luminous quality. I also prefer it as part of this set because it maintains the overall compositional theme of the first 2 images. I find the big chunk of darker image in the lower right third of the right side image in the second triptych visually jarring.

On the other hand, I don't like either triptych all that much (Although I love the individual images.) because they look too linear/mechanical in composition, like illustrations of focal length coverage in a lens brochure. I like triptych 1 better with the right image moved to the center. As the most visually powerful, luminous and even mysterious image (because the subject might not be immediately obvious without the other images), it rates center stage. In that form, the eye is no longer led to the right off the end in the expectation of a possible fourth image, but lands in the center, more in balance. If it were my composition, I would also then try out cropping both side images to narrow them equally by up to a quarter or so, possibly mostly from the right of each to maintain the luminous light on the (now) right one and the lovely cloud on the (still) left one. This might strengthen the whole triptych by emphasizing the strongest, central image while still framing it with images that give its abtract qualities context. It would take a bit of playing to see the impact. I might also try reversing the left and right images around the (new) center just to see how it feels. Hard to say how it might affect the overall impact without seeing it.

Just one viewer's opinion.

Moose

George M. Anderson wrote:

OM'ers:

An on-topic opinion poll of photos taken with OM cameras and lenses post.

I'd like to solicit opinions from those interested on a couple of images.

I got some nice images of Horsetail Falls in Yosemite being lit by the
setting sun.  I'm thinking they might make a nice tryptich if combined
correctly.  The first 2 images I think are pretty much a lock, but I'm not
quite sure which to use as the third.

So I've posted a couple of jpgs to my site with each version of the
tryptich, 1 and 2.

They are here:
http://www.whitneygallery.com/Jenn/Jenn_files/HF_TrypTry1.jpg
and here:
http://www.whitneygallery.com/Jenn/Jenn_files/HF_TrypTry2.jpg

Anyone interested in giving me some feedback can do it on list or off.

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All the images are on Kodak E100VS, taken with a 4T and scanned @4000dpi on
my Polaroid Sprintscan 4000.

The lenses I used, all Zuikos, were the 180/2, the 350/2.8 and 1.x and maybe
the 2x.  I'm sorry but I'm not absolutely sure of the combos for each shot,
but I think the first one (left end) is the 180/2 alone.

Thanks

George