RE: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:32:56 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> This is the *ONLY* accurate way to measure average fuel consumption. Trip
> computers don't. They have no reference to absolutes (total fuel volume
> springing instantly to mind) only rate of flow and time.

That's not true anymore.  Our '97 Explorer (Exploder :-) knows the absolute
volume in the tank.  I'm not sure exactly how they do it, but it sure is
accurate (within .5 litre).

> Of course, the whole subject is relative. You may well BUY your fuel in
> liquid measures, but your engine consumes it by weight.

They've caught on to that here.  All pumps have a little clause on them that
states "volume corrected to 15C".  Which basically means you only get a litre
of gas when it's 15C outside.  If it's -15C as it is today, you're getting
much less.
                                -mark