RE: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:52:38 -0800 (PST)
Regarding gas mileage:  My wife and I keep logbooks of every gas
fillup.  Amazing.  The MPV is dead on.  The Jeep sticks around
16.5 mpg.  My 1986 Pontiac Grand Am (4 cyl/5 speed) got between
36-39 MPG for years.  After 150,000 it really dropped off to
around 30.  My RX7 averaged 21mpg unless I REALLY was sailing
(90+ MPH on the interstate) when it would average 24.5 mpg.

>But they don't sell Cherokees anymore.  You could get a red
>Jeep Liberty though.

We looked at them.  I kinda like them, but the rear area is too
small for grocery shopping.  The trunk area is substantially
smaller than the Cherokee.  We're looking at an
end-of-the-long-historic-run 2001 Cherokee Classic.

The Jeep Cherokees are amazing.  We got caught in a big
hailstorm one day.  The MPV really got nailed bad ($3000
damage), but the Jeep gained just a couple tiny dimples.  Cars
around us were just getting lambasted and you could see mammoth
dents magically appearing on the hoods, roofs and trunks. Rear
windows were shattering on cars.  Downright scairy.  Deafening
too.  4WD came in handy as the interstate was completely ice
covered--only for a few minutes though as it was 85 degrees.
Oh, that storm plowed through Des Moines a few minutes earlier
and destroyed--as in totalled nearly 2000 brand new cars sitting
in dealer lots.  Lots of people are driving around in brand new
cadillacs and Lexis that they bought for $10,000-20,000 below
sticker.

>Loved your story. I can almost feel your Jeep doing donuts in
>the snow as I write this.  Been there, done that.

Some vehicles just demand getting thrown around.  Cherokees are
one of those vehicles.  You can spin them without worrying too
much about flipping over.  And the horsepower and torque out of
that inline six is amazing.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

AG