[OT]Re: VAT - Was: [OM] free, etc. Batteries (old)

Subject: [OT]Re: VAT - Was: [OM] free, etc. Batteries (old)
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:31:36 -0000
I used to be involved in shipping product to the US from the UK on an
infrequent basis. We used to insure for notional value with the shipper, and
cover the actual value through the general business insurance. This wasn't
to avoid customs, but to avoid overpriced shipping insurance.
The point was (at that time) nothing went missing as a signature was
required at all transhipment points because of the insurance, regardless of
the value, so you got 990f the certainty with, say, 100f the cost.
Have others tried this? Worked for us

Julian
Cambs, UK