Re: [OM] Re: Medium Format vs. Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Medium Format vs. Digital
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:18:54 +0800
Ok, I can accept this...

I also asked a mathematics major friend of mine. He says that the problem I'm having with my "math" is that digital is a cross sectional arrangement, and film chemicals are "random" lattice structures. And so while some films might be diagonally sharper, it might not be on a vertical-horizontal cross plane. I can accept this as well.

Albert

I believe your math is off by a factor of two. It takes TWO or more pixels to
resolve a line (Nyquist limit).

sq-rt (11,100,000 / 864) = 113 lines / mm

Ignoring for now the assumption that the sensor is square, if you allow for two
pixels per line, you get a more reasonable 56.5 lpmm.