Re: [OM] Travel Plans, My Camera Kit, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] Travel Plans, My Camera Kit, etc.
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:56:53 +0100
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:12:21 -0700
chris@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

<SNIP>

> First, regarding the travel plans...
>
> I've worked my butt off for 30+ years, trying to "get ahead" and
> "climb the career ladder."  Seems like the harder I work, the less
> I enjoy life.  And, it also seems like I always manage to "just get
> by" no matter how hard I work or how "successful" I am.  I "just
> got by" back in the 70's when I was working for $1.85 an hour (or
> some silly amount like that), and I "just got by" when I was a CEO
> making $100K plus per year.  And, Cori and I are "just getting by"
> now that I'm somewhere in the middle.

Well.......I think it is roughly the same for most. Consumption tends
to level with available ressources, somehow. Saving takes dicipline
:)

> So....  To HELL with it!  We've decided to do the "workcamping"
> thing.  For those of you who don't know about workcamping, that's
> where you work as you travel.  There's literally thousand of such
> jobs available, for instance campground attendants.  Most of these
> jobs are seasonal.  Generally, the pay ain't great but you get a
> free site for your RV (with full hook-ups in most cases).

Good for you. I hope that you will be having an amazing time. I
always believed that having a job you think is "fun" is worth much
more than (mostly) any pay. I both understand and applaud your
decission. The best part is probably, that you and Cori will get to
spend more time doing stuff *together*.

<SNIP>

> Now, regarding the camera kit....
>
> Again, thanks to everyone who suggested a different strategy for
> the camera kit.  Sorry, folks, but the OM-10 kit stays!  That was
> my original OM purchase (back in '81), and was used to take
> pictures of my kids growing up.  That kit has ALOT of sentimental
> value to me.  In fact, I had the camera CLA'd (which cost me more
> than it's "worth"), and spent over $1,000 in legal bills making
> sure my ex- wife didn't get it as part of the divorce settlement!
> Call me crazy, but that OM-10 goes with me to my grave!  :-)

Okie...so the OM10 stays for merits that cannot be priced or
evaluated by technical means. That's fine. If  it's been nicely
CLA'ed and all, it should also make a good travel partner.

> As for keeping more stuff, I'm VERY tempted to.  If I were to do
> that, I'd *have* to keep the OM-1N because it's such a dream
> camera.  But, then again, I'd *really* like to keep the OM-4
> because of that Morgan Sparks skin (thanks, Morgan!), and because
> it has all the bells and whistles.  As for lenses, the 24/2.8,
> 50/3.5 macro, and 300/4.5 are a must!  But, then again, I dearly
> love the 35- 70/3.5-4.5 and there's the 65-200/4 (gotta have that
> for the "reach"), and the 85/2 (what *lovely* bokah!), and....

You know what? If I was to settle on something small and compact, I
would probably go for the following from your list: 28/2.8, 50/1.8
(as you suggested) and something like a 135/3.5 or perhaps the 85/2.
I think you will regret keeping only the 50.

> Do you see where this is going?  In fact, if I took all the
> suggestions people have offered thus far, about 750f that gear
> would go back on the shelf.  As one person put it, I'd need another
> trailer just to carry the gear!  :-)
>
> Nope!  It goes!  Call me crazy, but that's the way it is.

Chris, you are crazy. There, you have it. Now, decide for at least a
wide angle and a moderate tele as well, then I may withdraw that
statement :)

> Now, for the REAL shocker....  I didn't want to mention this, and
> anyone with a weak heart should sit down.  Mothers and children,
> please leave the room....
>
> As many of you know, Cori has a Pentax fanatic.  She, too, is going
>
> to be selling much of her gear (her collection is nowhere near as
> large as mine), but she's keeping a PX-20 auto-focus outfit for
> herself.  I'm going to use the....   (GASP!!!) ....Pentax LX and

The Pentax LX is a fine camera.....very find indeed. No gasps from
here :)

> few lenses!  This way, we can share a number of things...  the
> flash and the 16/3.5 fishes for example.  It looks like we'll get
> all the gear we need into one rather large camera bag, instead of
> dragging around 2-3 bags *each* like we do now.

Well, now you make a whole lot of more sense. I thought, from your
alltogether down to OM10+50/1.8. In your situation, going travelling
and all, that just seemed plain nuts :) However trimming to one
common set of gear makes a lot of sense. And setteling on Pentax LX
is not atall bad.

> I think I just PROVED to everyone that I've gone completely nuts,
> so I'll stop nattering now.  Again, thanks to EVERYONE who's
> expressed an interest in my gear, who has offered well wishes, or
> who has offered suggestion.  MUCH appreciated, gang!

One final thing...we *will* get reports on your progress from time to
time, won't we? :)

--thomas

> Regards,
>
> Chris