[OM] Travel Plans, My Camera Kit, etc.

Subject: [OM] Travel Plans, My Camera Kit, etc.
From: chris@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:12:21 -0700
This is a long one, so if you're really not interested please accept
my apologies and hit the "delete" key....

First, a big THANKS to everyone who has sent e-mail asking about
my travel plans, or suggesting I keep something other than (or
besides) the OM-10 kit.  I've tried to respond to everyone thus far,
but maybe it'd be easier to just do it here.

First, regarding the travel plans...

I've worked my butt off for 30+ years, trying to "get ahead" and
"climb the career ladder."  Seems like the harder I work, the less I
enjoy life.  And, it also seems like I always manage to "just get by"
no matter how hard I work or how "successful" I am.  I "just got by"
back in the 70's when I was working for $1.85 an hour (or some silly
amount like that), and I "just got by" when I was a CEO making
$100K plus per year.  And, Cori and I are "just getting by" now that
I'm somewhere in the middle.

So....  To HELL with it!  We've decided to do the "workcamping"
thing.  For those of you who don't know about workcamping, that's
where you work as you travel.  There's literally thousand of such
jobs available, for instance campground attendants.  Most of these
jobs are seasonal.  Generally, the pay ain't great but you get a free
site for your RV (with full hook-ups in most cases).

Anybody who's interested in more info on workcamping can look
here:

http://www.workamper.com

So, travell plans?  None, really!  Our only "plans" thus far are to
spend 6 months down south and six months here in Canada,
travelling and working as we go.  (Betcha can't guess *which* six
months we *won't* be in Canada!  <Grin!>).  In order to realize our
dream, we've got to get debt-free, as we'll just be "getting by" once
we hit the road so servicing debt is out of the questions.

Now, regarding the camera kit....

Again, thanks to everyone who suggested a different strategy for
the camera kit.  Sorry, folks, but the OM-10 kit stays!  That was my
original OM purchase (back in '81), and was used to take pictures of
my kids growing up.  That kit has ALOT of sentimental value to me.
In fact, I had the camera CLA'd (which cost me more than it's
"worth"), and spent over $1,000 in legal bills making sure my ex-
wife didn't get it as part of the divorce settlement!  Call me crazy,
but that OM-10 goes with me to my grave!  :-)

As for keeping more stuff, I'm VERY tempted to.  If I were to do
that, I'd *have* to keep the OM-1N because it's such a dream
camera.  But, then again, I'd *really* like to keep the OM-4 because
of that Morgan Sparks skin (thanks, Morgan!), and because it has
all the bells and whistles.  As for lenses, the 24/2.8, 50/3.5 macro,
and 300/4.5 are a must!  But, then again, I dearly love the 35-
70/3.5-4.5 and there's the 65-200/4 (gotta have that for the "reach"),
and the 85/2 (what *lovely* bokah!), and....

Do you see where this is going?  In fact, if I took all the suggestions
people have offered thus far, about 750f that gear would go back
on the shelf.  As one person put it, I'd need another trailer just to
carry the gear!  :-)

Nope!  It goes!  Call me crazy, but that's the way it is.

Now, for the REAL shocker....  I didn't want to mention this, and
anyone with a weak heart should sit down.  Mothers and children,
please leave the room....

As many of you know, Cori has a Pentax fanatic.  She, too, is going
to be selling much of her gear (her collection is nowhere near as
large as mine), but she's keeping a PX-20 auto-focus outfit for
herself.  I'm going to use the....   (GASP!!!) ....Pentax LX and few
lenses!  This way, we can share a number of things...  the flash and
the 16/3.5 fishes for example.  It looks like we'll get all the gear we
need into one rather large camera bag, instead of dragging around
2-3 bags *each* like we do now.

I think I just PROVED to everyone that I've gone completely nuts,
so I'll stop nattering now.  Again, thanks to EVERYONE who's
expressed an interest in my gear, who has offered well wishes, or
who has offered suggestion.  MUCH appreciated, gang!

Regards,

Chris
(former Zuikohobbyist!)