RE: [OM] I miss my Oly C4040Z...

Subject: RE: [OM] I miss my Oly C4040Z...
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 22:17:47 +1100
> Winsor Crosby [mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Actually there is tons to know, but you know it because you are a
> photographer and understand the principles of photography.  They are
> irrelevant or at least a small incidental part of the whole with a
> digital camera! :-)

A quite accurate statement, Winsor (for a given value of "accurate :-)
).
There are a whole lot of buttons and functions on the C5050z, and that
has been a criticism in some reviews. To me, and I daresay to most
here, they wouldn't be that "confusing". For example, for me it was
logical to look for the obvious different expose modes (aperture
preferred, shutter preferred, manual), and look how to change either
shutter or aperture, or just the ISO and find them all easy to locate
and adjust - all perfectly logical 3 settable camera parameters of
exposure. On the OM1 they are...well, just *there* as separate
"dials" as the obvious three "options" available to you. On the
DC, you have to know *what* they are to know to look for them,
as the buttons can do multiple things depending on the mode, and
don't even get started on the "Menu" options. Sheesh! An absolute
beginner would be totally lost on this whole photography thing.

...but there's a whole lot of "auto" to save them from failure
and protect them from control.

I think it might have been said before - a decent OM1 (aren't
they all :-) ) is a perfect camera to start on. From there, if
you're interested in latest technology or digital you'll get most
out of it by knowing and using that OM1 (I'm being appropriately
"one-eyed" and saying "OM1" when I mean "all-manual camera").

I also daresay (because I am looking from within my own universe)
that you'll keep that OM1 too, even if you "move on".

Me, I'm not selling anything if I can help it. You can never have
too many tools in the shed. If I was to go all ocker Aussie, I'd say
it's a "bloke thing", but I know there's a few folk on the list
that might rightly disagree with that statement! ;-)

...which reminds me, I've got a roll of OM1-shot b&w from Christmas to
get developed.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz