RE: [OM] slide film sharpness

Subject: RE: [OM] slide film sharpness
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:18:05 +1300
George wrote:
> Go here:
>
> http://www.jafaphotography.com/filmtest.htm
>
> for this quote and more about Velvia: "Simply superb. Undoubtedly the
> sharpest color slide film available today."  This is simply a well known,
> documented fact.  I have no connection to Jafa. I found this by simply
> searching on "film tests". Notice that they did not bother to test
> Agfachrome.

I have no desire to be or seem objectionable, but in respect of the remark
"Notice that they did not bother to test Agfachrome." one could also add "or
Kodachrome". So what does that mean in relation to the quality of films?

Actually, nothing. It means that their tests were incomplete. It means for this
test series that no inference or factual statement can be made about the
quality of untested films. Until tested, they are untested.

The results of their performance cannot be compared with films tested in this
series of tests until tested in precisely the same way as the films that were
tested. Opinion based on tests not carried out, is just that - opinion based on
no equivalent test.

Maybe they don't want to test films with a name starting with "A", or made in
Germany, or those with "different" processing requirements. Scala wasn't
there either. Perhaps they didn't have the funds to purchase all the different
kinds of film. Who knows? It is an incomplete test and should be seen as
such.

Brian