Re: [OM] Portrait lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Portrait lens
From: "Michael S. Williamson" <mikew@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:34:08 -0600
> >> How can a zoom lens be sharper than fix focal lens ?
> >> Happy Christmas time for all.
> >> Christian
>
> There may also be sample variation. Or different variants of lenses as the
> design evolves. Someone on eBay just claimed he had to try something like
6
> or 8 100/2.8's to get one that *really* sang (grain of salt here - this is
> the lens he was selling :-) ). I tried out the Tamron, compared it with
the
> parallel Zuiko shots and passed. Maybe I should have tried another.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew

Andrew,

I bought the aforementioned 100 f2.8.  Having purchased a new 85 f2 earlier
this year and a used 90mm f2.5 (49mm) Tamron in 2001, it seemed time for
another roughly equivalent focal length (although I guess I should have
waited until 2003).  This is what the seller of the 100mm had to say about
the lens (after I purchased it):

<Begin quote>
Just to tell you some about this lens.  I have been a professional
newspaper, magazine and commercial photographer for over 30 years and had
just about retired when I got a chance to do some 16 X 20 and 20 X 24
posters.  Knowing the great demand this would put upon a lens, I bought a
Tamron 90mm, a Vivitar 105 macro and three 100mm Olympus lenses.  This one
was best of all.  It compared to the 105 Nikon and the 100 F3.5 Zeiss for
Contax I had used before.  I believe it will please you in every way.
<End quote>

This is a little different from what he said in his eBay ad, but it makes
for a good story anyway.  I hope to take a few shots with it over the
holidays.  I doubt if I'll keep both it and the 85mm, but perhaps I will.
The 100mm was no Fang, but $121.80 USD for a relatively new model was pretty
good (especially since I see E. Zuiko models going for more quite often).

Mike