Re: [OM] Portrait lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Portrait lens
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 18:41:52 -0500

From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:09:40 -0800

>Walt started all this by suggesting the Tamron as an all-round
>solution to the 85/2 vs. 100/2.8 (and to stir up a little action-
>satisfied Walt?).

Yep.  Just like when I was a kid, I still like to start
something, then stand back and watch the fur fly.  :-)

>The Tamron is certainly a great lens, but I would never think
>of it for portrait work except in a fixed setup with a tripod.

I agree.  It can be hand-held.  I do it occasionally, but I don't
think anybody would want to for long.  It really needs a monopod,
at least.

And as far as sharp and contrasty, who wants that in a portrait
lens anyway?  My choice for portraits, especially of members of
the tender gender, is the 100/2 Zuiko, but with a Tiffen Soft Net
filter.   They'll like the results, and then they'll like you.

Walt