Re: [OM] Portrait lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Portrait lens
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:23:42 -0500
The Tamron may be an independent manufacturer but calling it an "off-brand"
is a stretch.  Gary Reese's lens test show the Tamron 80-200 f2.8 to be a
very sharp lens.  On the other hand, back in the 70s, I bought a Tamron
80-210 f4.5 that was a dog.

My experience with Zuikos is similar.  The 'slower', more affordable lenses
often aren't nearly as sharp as the primo lenses.  (An exception would be
the 50 f1.8 labeled "Made in Japan".)  Super-telephotos in particular.

On the other hand, I have a very very sharp Sigma 24mm f2.8 that I found on
ebay for $30.  Similarly, I got a very very sharp Tamron 28mm f2.8 with
owner's manual, original hard case and original shade on ebay for $30.  If
you like sharp pictures, Gary's site can show you that the most expensive
lenses are not always the best performers nor the best values.  My two
cents.  By the way, some have repeated the mantra that wide angles are hard
to focus.  I don't think so.  I've had 3 other 28mm lenses on various OM
bodies and they all looked unsharp until I found the Tamron.  I contend that
if it's hard to focus, it may just be an unsharp lens.  Similarly, the 24mm
is crystalline sharp on the 2-13 screen.  Don't settle.

Lama

"Some get the gravy.
 Some get the gristle.
 Some get nothing
 though there's plenty to spare."  Joni Mitchell

Lama

From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
How can a zoom lens be sharper than fix focal lens ?