RE: [OM] 35 ~ 80 f/2.8 Zuiko

Subject: RE: [OM] 35 ~ 80 f/2.8 Zuiko
From: "George M. Anderson, Photographer" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 09:12:46 -0800
Hi. Been lurking for a short time. Am a returning member to the Oly list.

2 things real quick:

Congradulations on your purchase of a Zuiko 35-80/2.8  I've had mine for
several years now and it's become a real workhorse and favorite. In fact,
IIRC, that's my lens on Gary Reese's test page. Some of my impressions, good
and one bad (nothing's perfect!):

Don't ever be afraid to use this lens wide open.  It is sharp and beautiful
all the way thru the apertures. And all the way to the edges.
I like to take star photos - both star trails and tracked constellation
shots.  This lens is now my favorite (short focal length) for this work. Not
only because it can zoom to compose and it is very sharp wide open but
because it has virtually *no* coma distortion, which can cause stars towards
the edge of the field to be distorted into comet-like shapes. Coma is very
common and hard to eliminate especially at wide-open apertures which is
where a lens will be set for star photos usually.
I sold my 35/2 and 85/2 because of this lens.  This zoom is sharper and less
coma-prone than either.

The only thing I want to warn you about is that towards the 35 end of the
zoom it has, as you'll see on Gary's test and I can vouch for in real life,
pronounced barrel distortion.  So be careful with horizon lines and such. I
have an otherwise beautiful slide of a beach scene in Hawaii that is
compromised by a curved ocean horizon.  One of these days, I'll use
photoshop to straighten it out.

2) I was nearly LOL the other day when someone used Doris Fang's last name
as a verb meaning, I inferred, 'to get a great deal on used camera
equipment'. She is the master.

George