Re: [OM] Final advice needed - Metz flash or not

Subject: Re: [OM] Final advice needed - Metz flash or not
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:53:12 EST
Cc: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 12/9/2002 10:30:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

"OK, I need advice whether to spend the bucks or not. To recap, the problem
to solve is that w/ the F280, I get too many flash burn pictures -
typically the face is overexposed. The F280 is set to auto and the OM-4T
aperture is usually set to F4. I recall that my attempt to put a Lumiquest
tiny lightbox in the front of the F280 about 10 years weren't all that
successful. Also, I do have a fairly portable set of Studio flash, so this
is for walk around shooting, mainly inside hotels and convention centers,
of informal portraits."

Richard,

I'm not quite up to the knowledge of some of the experts on this list, but
this doesn't sound like a problem with the F280. I think you'll see the same
results with a Metz, or any other, flash. It sounds to me like you are
getting overexposure because the background falls away too far and is always
dark, so the camera, trying to get 18 0ray on the film, causes the central
subject to be overexposed. If you are shooting negative film, you should be
able to correct this in the print, although your backgrounds are likely to go
completely black. Somewhere between 1 and 2 stops of exposure compensation
might also be helpful.

This has caused me to wonder: Does the OM-PC/OM-40 use ESP metering for
flash?

Paul Schings