Re: [OM] Final advice needed - Metz flash or not

Subject: Re: [OM] Final advice needed - Metz flash or not
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:44:42 -0500
At 22:26 12/9/02, Richard F. Man wrote in part:
I recall that my attempt to put a Lumiquest tiny lightbox in the front of the F280 about 10 years weren't all that successful.

The smaller Lumiquest mini-softbox isn't much help. You need to use the larger Softbox if using one at all. Even then, at distances greater than about 20 feet even the larger one it doesn't make much difference unless it's in a small space where the diffused light bounces off of walls and ceiling. The larger one does make a clear difference when working in close at about 10 feet (or less).

The choice is either a used Metz 40-MZ3i which I can get from keh.com, or a new 54-MZ-5. The advantage of the new 54-MZ is that it is a "cobra" design, which AFAIK, put the flash higher position for less chance of red eye. Also, it supports High Speed Sync, for OTHER cameras such as the M7. The 40-MZ3 is smaller, and costs $100 less.

Mostly it's a choice between the features you mention. I've used the 40 MZ in the hot shoe, just as I have a T-32 and never had a red-eye problem. That said, I've also put the flash on a bracket, either handle or camera rotator, under conditions of highest risk (wedding receptions are my #1 red-eye risk).

On top of that, I will probably pick up the Stroboframe camera flip bracket, the Newton Camera one seems a bit too heavy and more expensive. This will allow vertical portraits w/o the annoying side shadows.

In the Grand Scheme of Things, the Newton 7000 is no heavier. It's made out of extremely light weight aircraft aluminum alloy and is very strong. Once you add camera body, lens, flash, film and put batteries in the flash, the difference in weight between the two is negligible. The Newton is more costly, but it's also a camera rotator with a hand grip, so I would expect it to be. It is lighter than the equivalent Stroboframe camera rotator, but the Grand Scheme of Things remark I already made applies to this difference too.

So... given that I will get the Stroboframe, would it make a difference between the 54-MZ and the 40-MZ? Or should I just stay with the F280? I guess I will sell the F280 if I get the Metz's. Hope I don't lose money :-)

If you get a flip flash type bracket, get a cobra style flash for it. The ones I looked at and considered defy adjustment for a low profile flash to keep the flash tube directly above the lens in both position.

Bottom line is making certain whatever you spend your hard earned $$$ on works well for you in weight, balance, and agility in handling the rig as a system. While I use a side mounted potato masher or camera rotator (depends on what I'm doing) and prefer these, I also know many others who use the flip style and it seems to work well for them.

-- John